As a business owner, how often do you find yourself thinking, “Something has to change. This is not where I want my business to be”? Does it feel like you’ve been coasting for too long without seeing any real growth? The problem may be marketing team complacency. I’ve seen it happen to companies and non-profits of all sizes; from million dollar organizations to multi-billion dollar corporations. It happens. And unless you recognize the signs and do something to change it, your company will continue to coast and you won’t achieve the growth you want.
Here are the 6 signs your marketing team might need a refresh:
- You haven’t heard an idea that’s excited you in a long time– the point of having a marketing team is to keep your business fresh and exciting. Marketing isn’t just about the right tagline, logo, or print ad. It’s about ensuring your business model, products, and services stay current and top of mind for new customers. If you’re not excited about your business, chances are, potential clients aren’t either.
- They’re out of touch with your Target Market– speaking of your potential clients: have you looked at them lately? I mean, really looked at them? Your target market probably doesn’t look the same as it did 20 years ago – or even 5 years ago for that matter. What excites them? What prompts them to buy what you sell? What do they value? If your marketing team can’t answer these questions, your company could be out of touch with your market.
- Your Marketing tactics haven’t changed – that newspaper ad you’ve been running since you started your company and the networking group you’ve belonged to for decades may not be yielding the results they used to. Sure, they’re comfortable, but if your profit margins have been steadily declining or you’ve been consistently attracting work or customers that don’t excite you, your marketing has stagnated – and most likely, so has your business.
- Your marketing feels boring – the purpose of Marketing is to get your company noticed. If you’ve been using the same logo, tagline, and ad copy forever, people have stopped noticing it. Your marketing team’s job is to constantly study and innovate to get your target market excited about the possibilities of what you deliver! If your message feels boring to you and your team – trust me, then it’s boring to clients and potential clients too!
- Your team is negative and jaded- are you hearing “we can’t” more than “let’s try!” lately? If so, then it’s definitely time to refresh your Marketing team. Marketing is creative and fun and about testing different ideas to find what works. If your team is stuck on “we can’t”, then it’s definitely time for change.
We work with companies and non-profit organizations that have all, or some, of these six signs. It happens; you’ve been working together a while, you’ve had some success, and people start to rest on their laurels. While that may be comfortable, it’s not conducive to growth and innovation. Bringing in a marketing consultant – someone who can be objective and honest, is the perfect way to get out of a marketing rut. Sometimes all it takes is a fresh set of eyes!
If you’re ready for a fresh set of eyes, contact us!