Every business owner knows the higher you appear on the page in a Google search, the better your chances of getting found by customers, thereby increasing sales. The question is, how do you get a high ranking? Especially when there is so much secrecy and confusion about Google Algorithms, SEO, SEM and PPC (read: 4 Acronyms Every Business Owner Needs to Master)? In its simplest form, Google looks for websites that are legitimate, relevant and fresh. So your goal is to create a website that fits these criteria.
Here are 5 ways to increase your ranking without spending a Fortune on expensive SEM.
- Your website: First and foremost, make sure you have an SEO friendly website platform like WordPress or Joomla and then use the tools available: SEO plugins (like Yoast or All in One SEO Pack), title tags, and writing keyword-rich website copy.
- Blogging: Google crawlers look for websites that are current – meaning it has fresh content and hasn’t just been sitting there abandoned for 5 years. Blogging is the best way to add fresh content to your website on a consistent basis.
- Use the right keywords: What do your clients and potential customers search to find what you offer? If you don’t know, ask! Those are the keywords you should be using on your website and in your blogs and marketing content. For help you can also use a Keyword Tool like Google’s Free Keyword Planner.
- External links: The more your website is referred to by other, reputable sites, the more legitimate your business appears and the higher your ranking. Get other people talking about your business, your blogs or other content with links back to your site and you will see your Google rank improve.
- Traffic: Another indication that your site is legit is the number of visits. So use your blogs, video, infographics, and other marketing content to drive visitors to your website.
Follow these 5 steps and you will start to see an improvement in your Google Ranking, but it will take some time, so be patient. Remember, Marketing is a process, not an event!
If you would like a help, a Strategic Marketing Consultant would be a great resource. Contact Fortune Marketing Company today for a consultation!