Your website is probably the first impression potential clients will get of your business. It’s the online storefront for your company and it can make or break you.
Here is a simple checklist to follow when building a brand new company website or refreshing an old one:
- Is your website easy to find? Does your domain name (web address) make sense for your business? Is it easy to spell? Try to avoid unusual or overly creative domains and business names that may confuse potential clients.
- Is your home page visually appealing? Visitors will decide whether to stay on your website or click away in a fraction of a second. A clean, visually appealing home page can engage visitors and make them want to spend more time on your site.
- Is your site easy to navigate? Visitors land on your website for a reason: they want to solve a problem or satisfy a need. You need to make sure it’s easy for them to find what they’re looking for, or they’ll simply click away and find it somewhere else.
- Is it extremely easy to contact you? Be sure your “Contact Us” button stands out. It needs to be the easiest thing to find on your website. On your contact page, make it as simple as possible for visitors to send a message or call. Also be sure to include your phone number, address or email address on every page.
- Does your site load quickly? Flash is out. If your website takes too long to load visitors will simply click on to the next. Leave the bandwidth-heavy artistic expression off the homepage.
- Is your website mobile friendly? A majority of website visits are now from smartphone users and if your website isn’t mobile friendly they won’t be able to easily navigate – or even read it. If you’re unsure, simply pull your website up on your own phone. Can you read it without scrolling back and forth? Is it easy to find information? If not, a new website is in order.
- Does your website clearly state the problem you solve (or need you fulfill) and how you solve it? When a visitor lands on your site to solve a problem or fulfill a need they don’t care how long you’ve been in business, what your mission statement is, or how many degrees you have. FIRST they want to know that you can help them. Your #1 goal is to succinctly and effectively convince the reader you understand their need and that you can help them.
- Does your website make it easy to connect with you on Social Media? Add your social media icons to allow visitors to engage with you everywhere they are.
- Does your website show proof to back up what you promise? Testimonials – and especially video testimonials – are a great way to show visitors that you can deliver on your promises. Be sure to add them and make them stand out.
- Do you have a Call to Action (CTA)? The biggest mistake a small business owner can make is to drive people to their company website and then let them get away without taking action to engage. A CTA is a way to stay in touch with visitors and potential clients by collecting their email address in exchange for something; a downloadable report, a white paper or a newsletter. .
Follow this checklist and always consult with a professional marketing consultant or website designer to get the very best website your business deserves. Contact us if you need help creating a custom website.