A while back, I wrote an article about the benefits of blogging for small business (How to Use a Blog as a Small Business Marketing Tool) in which I explained why it’s important for small business owners to blog on a regular basis. In it, I explained that it is one of the best ways to drive traffic to your website.
One of the biggest arguments I still get from business owners is,
“No one is going to read my blog every day, so why should I write it?” It’s true, we are much too busy and inundated with information to do seek out blogs to read every day. Therefore, many business owners assume blogging is a waste of time. However, content marketing has become one of the most effective ways to reach and engage your audience and blogging is another piece of your content marketing strategy. It is still the most effective way to attract more potential clients to your site.
In his article “Blogging Isn’t Dead” Chis Brogan gives great advice on how to use your blog as an effective Marketing tool that will drive traffic to your website:
- Write a really useful post about something that relates to what you sell, whether or not someone ultimately buys whatever you’re selling. Within that post, have one or two links to that which you sell. (Otherwise, it’s just information, which is useful, but doesn’t help your business goals).
- On the blog site, have a pop-up to offer access to your newsletter. (Make the content of the newsletter different than what you post on your blog – put your better stuff in your newsletter).
- Write a summary of the post and put it on Facebook with a link to your blog post.
- Do this on LinkedIn and/or wherever else you might hope to attract the attention of potential buyers.
- Tweet links to your blog post at least 4 times in any given day, interspersed around other more useful tweets.
- Re-promote this content over the next 2-3 days, and again a week late
Follow these 6 steps (along with effective keywords) and you will start to see an increase in traffic to your website. When done correctly, that traffic will convert to clients and sales. If you don’t have the time to blog consistently hire someone to do it for you.
You can also hire a Marketing Consultant to help you define a content marketing strategy that includes studying your target market, their buying cycle, and how to attract them with relevant and engaging content.
About Fortune Marketing Company:
Fortune Marketing Company works with small business owners and marketers to develop and execute strategic marketing plans that bring higher value clients, more sales and increased profits. Why hire a VP of Marketing or a whole Marketing team when you can outsource for a fraction of the cost? Contact us!