Marketing can seem overwhelming and overly expensive when you’re just starting – or bootstrapping- a business. Sure, there are plenty of ways you can spend a fortune on Marketing – but you don’t have to spend a lot of money to get exposure and attract clients.
Here are 22 ways you can market your small business or start-up for free (or nearly free):
- Create an email newsletter: MailChimp is my email service provider of choice and they still offer a free version. Start building your subscriber base and send out a weekly or monthly newsletter.
- Facebook: Create a business page and build your community with relevant and fun content.
- Twitter: You can quickly build your follower list by tweeting and retweeting content relevant to your industry and don’t forget your #hashtags.
- LinkedIn: LinkedIn is a great tool for online networking. Create both personal and business pages and start connecting. Read more on using LinkedIn as a marketing tool here.
- Google+: Don’t leave Google+ out of your social media marketing. It’s excellent for SEO.
- Blogging: set up a blog on your site and do it consistently promoting your posts on social media.
- StumbleUpon: a great site for promoting your blogs.
- BizSugar: a great place to share business related blogs and articles.
- Digg: share your blogs here for more exposure.
- Networking events: do a google search in your area for industry related or business networking events. Many are free.
- Guest blog: find a business or blogger who shares your target market and ask to guest blog to expand your audience.
- Speaking at conferences and professional organizations; many professional organizations and conferences have openings for speakers on topic their audience can learn from. Do a little research and start inquiring?
- Referral Marketing: ask your customers, colleagues, partners, vendors, friends and family members for referrals.
- Submit your website URL to search engines: Google and Bing both offer the option to submit links to sites. This will help your SEO so you rank better on search engine results.
- Add a call to action to your website: whether it’s a free eBook, whitepaper, research study or a consultation, add something that prompts visitors to engage
- Webinars: Google Hangouts and Join.me are just a couple of free webinar tools you can use to host your own webinar.
- Offer a free consultation.
- Send press releases: PR is a great marketing tool. Use sites like Prlog.com and free-press-release.com to submit your news story.
- Create videos: you don’t have to spend a fortune to create great videos. DIY videos can work just fine in the beginning. Set up your YouTube channel and start creating!
- List your business with online directories: Link building is an important part of building your presence online and get found on search engine results. Here’s a list of 33 places you can list your site for free.
- Volunteer: Get involved in your community and volunteer your time or services. This will help you network and give back at the same time.
- Build a community: You can create groups on LinkedIn, hangouts on Google or even a community on Facebook. Find a subject that’s of interested to your target market and bring them together to share ideas and information.
If you need help with your marketing, a Marketing Consultant, while not free can add tremendous value to your small business or start-up. Fortune Marketing specializes in helping small businesses develop strategic plans and make smarter marketing decisions Contact us for a no-obligation consultation.