When marketing a small business, Public Relations (PR) can be an invaluable tool. It’s inexpensive and there is no better marketing than having a third party write about your business. One way to get press for your business is to write press releases and send them to reporters and the media who write about your industry or area of expertise.
A Press Release can also get the attention of the media, reporters, buyers, investors and even clients. It’s a worthwhile strategy for small businesses.
A good Press Release can grab the attention of media influencers who are always looking for their next story. But with thousands of companies vying for their attention, standing out from the crowd is a challenge. Getting your press release noticed requires finding a compelling hook or an angle. What story are you trying to tell and why would the media’s audience care?
Here are 9 ideas for creating Press Releases that will get noticed:
- What current events or popular news stories can you tie your product, service or company to?
- Get a quote or testimonial from a well-known client or strategic partner: a local celebrity, politician or business person.
- Keep current: write a seasonal press release that pertains to your company
- Write about a special award or certification someone at your company received
- What inventions, innovations or new technology are you creating or using that would make you stand out from your competition?
- Comment on industry trends
- Take and opposing point of view on a popular belief in your industry.
- Publish interesting or surprising results of a study or survey.
- Share interesting statistics or case studies.
Use these 9 ideas to write press releases and begin building relationships with the media, reporters and bloggers who write about what you do. Remember, like any Marketing strategy, it’s a process, not an event and you can’t expect instant success with your first press release. Be consistent and you will see results.