We’re inundated with email. Some invited, some, like all that annoying SPAM, not. With our busy schedules and lengthy to-do lists, sorting through us in boxes is just another chore we would rather not have to deal with.
As small business owners and marketers, how do we break through the clutter and get our emails noticed, much less opened? It’s not easy, we have to know our audience and create timely and relevant posts that will make them want to stop what they’re doing and take the time to read your email. And it all starts with a subject line they just can’t resist!
I did a little research to find some of the best email subject lines to show you what’s possible for your own email marketing.
Here are 6 tips for email subject lines your audience won’t be able to resist.
- “Don’t Open This Email!” I don’t know about you, but when someone tells me NOT to do something it makes me want to do it all the more. I’ve seen this a couple of times and it works on my every time.
- “Please Touch Me! Enterprise Delight via Multitouch”. (Source: Wordstream blog) Using humor can help you get noticed. There is nothing fun or funny about deleting 100 SPAM emails, so if the reader runs across yours and it makes her smile, chances are she’ll want to open it.
- “You know Your Marketing Sucks”. Shocking or controversial emails get opened. You need to be careful here – you don’t want to offend your readers, but if you can inject a little shock value without insulting them, you can win them over.
- “Vacation!” Single word email subject lines are short, succinct and they stand out in an inbox full of emails. Try to find catchy words or even short phrases that will make your audience want to know more.
- “Carolyn, Do You Want More Customers?” This example has two tips: 1) Personalizing subject lines is another way to get notices and increase open rates. 2) asking a question immediately engages them as their brain automatically answers the question.
- “Hurry, Half Price Marketing Consulting expires tomorrow”. Making the reader think they’ll be missing out on something is great way to get them to open your email. No one wants to miss out on something great!
Of course, the key to building your email list and keeping your readers engaged is to create informative, helpful and relevant content. Your subject lines should never mislead or deceive or readers will unsubscribe in a heartbeat.
If you would like help with your email marketing or other small business marketing strategies, contact us. Fortune Marketing has Marketing Consultants to help you build a successful long term marketing strategy that will help you achieve all of your business and personal goals. Contact us today to get started!
WordStream Online Advertising, blog post by Megan Marrs: “The 9 Best Email Subject Line Styles to Increase Your Open Rates”
Hubspot, blog post by Ginny Minneo, “18 of the Best Email Subject Lines You’ve Ever Read.”